Saturday, June 27, 2009

Susan Sontag and Sushi!!!!!

Cookies! Damn it! Nothing beats a fine book, Susan Sontag's 'On Photography', and fine sushi (snow crab, cream cheese and spices wrapped in seaweed/rice)!

I am thoroughly enjoying 'On Photography' and I feel convienced that I love more conceptual based 'fine' art than more skilled based art. I mean I agree with the theories on the purity of flatness that are hammered home in 'The Painted Word', and will work those ideas into my photography projects, but I also enjoy just good old "relation-based" art work... art that grabs you!

Art should relate to how we view and experience the human condition right? I believe that to succeed I must grasp that idea better and pull it by the balls until I get something. (I might like someone to do that to me... :-)).

Hell if I know though. I am confused about so much right now. I love Jessica Patmon. She's such an amazing woman. She speaks with such heavenly honesty and confidence. I really enjoy that. She's such a damn good artist too. She loves the outdoors and children. She even paints like a true champion... she's damn damn damn good. I even feel rather weak in the knees around her... while feelings highly capable. Capable of what one might ask. Anything... I feel like I can do anything when she is around. I really look up to her too. She wants to be a high school art teacher, but I feel God is going to do far more than that with her.

Anyway... I tend to ramble when I really like a person. I am just going to keep producing work. I am aware that people like my art work and that I have been in Birmingham Artwalk and The Wonderland show... and even recieved top honors in the last student show (which I got all three of my pieces in for... RARE) but I am not satisfied! I want to connect with the world. I need to help it fix it's problems and I want to show it a world without borders or limits. I want I want I need I need.


Jon Hicks

Sent from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment